Calculator / Start Screen Keeps Appearing (Why?)

driving man 16:00 06 Nov 05

XP home Serv.Pack 2 ---Zone Alarm -- Avast --AOL Dial up
Since Installing Z/Alarm And Avast both on same day I now find that when connected to AOL the calculator frequently pops up without being selected. Also The Screen that appears when you press " Start " is doing the same. I Assume there is a conflict somewhere

driving man 23:55 06 Nov 05

Also AOL's Mailbox Appears for no reason

Splork 00:08 07 Nov 05

Do you have a `multimedia` keyboard?
Any Windows shortcuts set up? Try renaming the Calculator and see if a window pops up announcing it can't find it, it may reveal the source.
Find Calc.exe in \WINDOWS\system32
Have you run any antispyware software? Ewido recommended for a first scan, Spywareblaster and Spyb ot / Microsoft Antispyware recommended for permanent installation) click here

driving man 00:33 07 Nov 05

Keyboard has no shortcuts.
Am using microsoft and avast - spywareblaster and zone alarm as a firewall.
It is only since installing zone alarm and /or avast that the problem has arisen.y

Splork 00:39 07 Nov 05

Very odd indeed - you may need to uninstall one or the other to see if they are the cause, though I've never heard of either launching applications at random. Does it only happen when you are online with AOL? What happens if you use Internet Explorer to browse while online rather than the AOL browser? Are you using a desktop or laptop PC?

driving man 00:45 07 Nov 05

Using laptop but this doesn't happen on desktop which has the same settings except for zone alarm.

Splork 00:46 07 Nov 05

It's worth checking for obscure shortcut keys - I take it you only get the apps popping up when you are online then?

driving man 00:56 07 Nov 05

Yes only when online but the keyboard will not have been touched to produce the problem.
Am getting to the point when a restall to settings of a month ago may be the only answer.
However am not wanting to uninstall all of Norton Security and then re-install all replacement programmes.

Splork 01:00 07 Nov 05

Very odd indeed - you could try loading this click here - leave it running and logging while online and it may reveal which program is starting the calculator. Shut down all un-neccessary programs if you leave it running, otherwise the log file/screen output will be enormous.

driving man 01:10 07 Nov 05

Splork have set it in motion ---

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now