cache settings after RAM upgrade?

bananaz 21:26 11 Jun 04

hi folks, ive just upgraded my RAM from 512Mb to 1024Mb but cant notice any difference in performance. ive definatly bought the correct type of memory & im thinking that ive got to adjust some settings, ie cache sizes etc... only thing is i dont know how to do it. im on xp home os by the way. thanks in advance kind people.

Mikè 21:41 11 Jun 04

Maybe the 512Mb was enough for your usage of pc.

THE TERMINATOR 21:43 11 Jun 04

Is the new RAM recognised by your pc. Right click my computer and choose properties from the menu. Where it gives details about your computer at the bottom of the next screen, it should tell you how much memory you have.

norman47 21:51 11 Jun 04

Press ctrl,alt and delete to bring up windows task manager. Under physical memory what are your numbers for total and available?

While there what is your page file usage history.

As for cache sizes. Is your hard disk partitioned or do you have a slave hard drive? Is your virtual memory managed by windows or have you opted for specific settings.

bananaz 22:59 11 Jun 04

ok, yup the new RAM has been recognised by my pc, clearly tells me it is now 1024Mb running @ 333MHz. tried ctrl, alt, del, but nothing happened, so looked else where. i have 2 hard drives partitioned (1 as slave). master has 66.3Gb free & slave has 74.3Gb free. virtual memory figures are: initial size 768Mb, max size 1536Mb. total paging file size for all drives, min allowed= 2Mb, recommended= 1533 Mb, currently allocated= 768Mb. hope that helps, cos my brain cell has just imploded lol. cheers.

norman47 00:29 12 Jun 04

Try ctrl,alt and delete again, press all three button in one go. This should bring up windows task manager. From here you can ascertain the amount of free ram you have, also your paging file.

With a gig of ram I don't think it is necessary to alter your virtual memory size.

but if you wish to do so I would suggest you set it to a slave drive. the ideal situation is to have to min and max virtual memory at the same size. It is also a good idea to have it on a slave drive. This gives the benefit of not having the virtual memory written to the hard drive shrink and expand as data is written to it in memory. With it being on a slave drive it also cuts down the fragmentation of files of the "C" drive because a) the size is fixed and b) it is on a drive away from operating programmes.

To alter this enter control panel and double click system. In system properties pick advanced. Now pick performance. Then the advanced tab. Now virtual memory at the bottom and the change tab.

In the top half of the new window you will see your partitioned hard drives listed. Pick the partition you wish to have the virtual memory on.Now pick the custom size button and enter the virtual memory size you wish for that drive. For an example I have 2,000Mb reserved on my slave drive and have 512 of ddr ram installed. I would suggest you pick between 2 and 3 gig. When you done this click the set button.

Now you have to disable the virtual memory for the "C" drive. Highlight the "C" drive in the top window. Pick no paging file for this drive and set. Then apply. It will require a restart.

bananaz 10:05 12 Jun 04

the three buttons still didnt work, but right clicked on an empty space on the task bar, then clicked task manager. Physical memory (k), total=1047532, available=722392, system cache= 782104. PF usage=238Mb. Kernal memory (k), total=63568, paged=42860, non paged=20856. will now try your suggested settings. cheers norman47.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…