cable and wireless system

the spook 19:47 09 Mar 07

Hi
I have a Netgear DG834 wireless router downstairs and both my PCs are upstairs. At the moment they are both connected using the WiFi but sometimes I need to transfer large amounts of data from one computer to the other, I was thinking would it be possible to have one computer on the WiFI and then connect both the computers with a crossover cable. If it is would I still be able to use both computers on the Internet, would there be any major problems. Apart from removing the wireless card from one of the computers what else would I need to do. If this worked I was thinking of adding a 10/100/1000 Ethernet card to both computers.
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks

Strawballs 00:23 10 Mar 07

I think that would work but is there any way of getting the router upstairs then you could connect by wire and would be better than direct with crossover.

the spook 18:57 10 Mar 07

I did have the router upstairs at one time but I had more problems with extension leads, since moving the router downstairs and connecting straight to the BT box I do not get any more problems and my download speed has been increased.
I am not to sure how to set the wired computer up to receive the Internet, if you see what I mean.

Strawballs 09:30 11 Mar 07

If the router is already working on internet all you should have to do is go to internet options and check that it is set up for connect to internet via Lan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…