Cable to wireless conversion?? I'm lost

g40 21:37 21 Aug 08

Id like to change a friends virgin broadband service from being hooked to a black speedtouch modem with the white cable signal input, to a wireless router.
But i cant figure out what goes where, andy ideas would be most greatfully accepted, thank you, G

Eric10 22:13 21 Aug 08

You need a modem with an Ethernet connection, not USB. You also need a cable router, not ADSL. The modem plugs into the WAN socket of the cable router with an Ethernet cable. You should then plug the PC into one of the router's LAN sockets until you have established your Internet connection and entered your Broadband user name and password. Once you have this set up and working you can set up the wireless side of things and disconnect the PCs Ethernet cable.

Strawballs 22:17 21 Aug 08
  g40 21:57 24 Aug 08

Ill try these things and thank you all so much, its always a pleasure and hopefully i can return the favour in the future, cheers, G

mgmcc 23:21 24 Aug 08

I think there may be some confusion here. If friend currently has a SPEEDTOUCH MODEM, then he/she must be using Virgin's ADSL service and not their Cable service.

It is therefore necessary to replace this USB Modem with a combined "Router & ADSL Modem". This plugs directly into the phone line and computers connect to it either by ethernet cable or "wirelessly".

Strawballs 21:31 25 Aug 08

mgmcc has a good point we have all jumped to the conclution that it is a cable connection if the modem is plugged into phone socket then it is the old original virgin.net connection which is ADSL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac