cable unplugged

gav.zilla 14:20 14 Nov 05

hi, recently bought a wireless enabled laptop and wanted to use my broadband connection (talktalk speedtouch) on this and our desktop. i bought a d-link adsl wireless modem/router, followed the instructions and connected the ethernet cable to the desktop. my laptop can now access the internet, but the lan connection on the desktop says there is a cable unplugged. i successfully installed a new ethernet card and tried again but still a cable is disconnected. can anyone offer any advice?
many thanks for any help.

mgmcc 14:40 14 Nov 05

The "Network Cable Unplugged" indication normally means that there is a network adapter installed but that it isn't connected properly to anything - this can also include using the wrong type of cable ("crossover" versus "straight-wired").

If you are using the correct cable as supplied with the router, is one of the router's LAN ports configured as an "uplink" port, so that it can connect to an additional hub/switch? Some routers have a button to set a port in "uplink" mode, which has the same effect as changing from a "straight" to a "crossover" cable. If you were to use a port in this configuration, it would give the "Network Cable Unplugged".

ade.h 18:09 14 Nov 05

I see that you're using an ethernet PCI card, but does your motherboard have built-in LAN, as many do now? If so, that might be it.

gav.zilla 18:18 14 Nov 05

hi all, my desktop has an ethernet connection port from the factory, aswell as the pci that i installed.i have tried both ethernet ports on all four sockets of the router, but the response is always that there is a network cable unplugged. it's driving me mad!!

ade.h 19:07 14 Nov 05

So it may well be what I suspected then. As you have two ethernet devices, it is quite probable that they are both enabled and the unused one is triggering the message in the Notification Area. Try disabling whichever ethernet device you are not using and see if that cures the problem.

ade.h 19:08 14 Nov 05

Having more than one socket on a single device shouldn't be an issue, by the way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…