cable tv @ wireless setup

buzzwold 12:42 04 Mar 09

Hi!
My brother has sky tv with a wireless router. Everything works fine, but he immediately noticed a drop in quality of the land line when using the phone. Has anyone else had this happen and did they manage to resolve the issue?
Thanks, buzzwold

Tech Guy 15:14 04 Mar 09

Does your internet drop out when the phone rings?

If so this is more likely to be a missing/faulty ADSL filter.

If not contact Sky for some troubleshooting.

buzzwold 22:04 04 Mar 09

Thanks for the input, Tech Guy. Unlikely, although Sky did not supply an ADSL filter and he bought one locally. I wasn't aware until recently that the quality of the filters varied so much, so I'll take a spare with me when I call on him. Any other areas which may need investigation.

Tech Guy 17:17 05 Mar 09

Just so you know: you need an ADSL filter for every device plugged in the phone line, inc cordless phone base station, fax machine, sky box and of course the router.

First remove all equipment from the line and plug phone with ADSL filter (that is known to work perfectly and pref a CORDED one (service providers love to blame cordless phones)) into the master socket to see if the quality improves, this will rule out your internal wiring. If line still bad the only thing to do is phone sky.

All things being good, replace the front of the BT socket and then try another call, all good then try plugging the computer back in with filters and the good phone. Check another call.

Keep going until all devices are back in place. Sky boxes cause probs, as most people don't realise they need to be filtered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac