Cable - The semaphore timeout period has expired.

PaulB2005 07:42 14 Mar 09

Virgin 10 Mb/s Cable
Surfboard SB1400 Cable Modem
Buffalo WYR-G54

Up until a few months ago i was able to log into my PC and then all my programs would load in a flash. NOD32 AV, ePrompter and TomTom Home are the only programs running in the tray. I was then able to use programs and surf the Internet straight away.

Suddenly I've been hit with a delay that stops the AV from loading quickly. Instead of the splash screen appearing for 2-3 seconds it's there for 30-60 seconds and all other processes grid to a near halt. It then clears and moves on. It looks like the AV is checking for an update but can't get a connection straight away. In the Event Log i get the following.....

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 00AABBCCDDEEFF. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired. . Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

If, like this morning, i switch on and go off for 15 minutes and then log in it loads in a flash and no error is logged....

I've read bits on the error message but can't see any plain English answers. Virgin Media have suggested there's a problem i try their forum.

The PC, router and modem are switched off every night.

ambra4 16:00 16 Mar 09

“The PC, router and modem are switched off every night”

How do you switch on in the morning?

With a Cable system it is best to leave the cable modem on at all time

If you must turn of the modem you must use the following method at start up

With all the equipment power Off

Power on the Cable Modem first when fully booted with all lights displayed

Power on the Router when the router is fully up and running

Power on the computer and wait until it is fully booted up

The Cable Modem will recognise a new connection and allocate an IP address to the router and

the router will allocate a IP address to the computer

PaulB2005 16:06 16 Mar 09

Every morning i switch on the mains to which the PC, modem and router are connected and fire up the PC. Never been a problem in the past 6 years or so, only the last few months....

I can't remember what happens after a reboot without cutting the power so i'll try it....

PaulB2005 16:11 16 Mar 09

After a reboot, leaving the router and modem on, i still get the same problem and error message.

If i didn't make it clear before everytihng works ok it's just the delay that's a pain....

PaulB2005 09:08 03 Apr 09

bump

PaulB2005 14:15 15 Apr 09

Found an old NetGear FA311 PCI Network Card. Installed it and used that instead on onboard LAN. Now starts up with no delays and no errors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…