cable select on hard disk jumpers

tellus 14:35 07 Sep 03

Hi has any used the cable select jumper configuration on the seagate barracuda hdd . What is the benefit of using it if you only have one hdd?

handy4x 14:44 07 Sep 03

if you only have one hard drive none as far as i know i hav always found it complicates the system any way you are better seting to master and slave

tellus 14:51 07 Sep 03

Thanks handy4x i thought master and slave would be the best but just wanted to get another view on it . Many thanks

Djohn 20:21 07 Sep 03

Realise it's a bit late to add to thread, but I always had mine set to Master/Slave. When I installed two new drives last week, I set them both to C/S and they work fine. j.

fullywired23 20:41 07 Sep 03

correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it didn't if you had them both to c/s because the one fitted to the first connecter on the IDEcable is always the master

Djohn 20:52 07 Sep 03

No if you have them both set to C/S and the Master drive is connected at the end of the cable, Slave in the middle, and use 80 strand cable, it will know which drive is which. Regards. j.

fullywired23 20:53 07 Sep 03

I thought it didn't matter

fullywired23 21:02 07 Sep 03

Are you saying that if both are set to C/s the one that is connected to the end of the cable is master and the one in the middle is slave.Because that what I thought occured, or is this not the case,I'm a little puzzled

Regards Viejo

Djohn 21:07 07 Sep 03

Yes, you are correct. End of cable is master.

Middle is slave.

So if you set both your Hard drives to C/S. The drive you connect at the end will automatically become the master, the one you connect in the middle will become the slave. Just remember to have your Operating system on the end drive. Regards. j.

raytheman 21:16 07 Sep 03

Hi my view is never use cable select,master and slave select much better,had cable select on my first computer,which was a compaq,and according to most expects I spoke to never had a lot of time for cable select,told to use master and slave selection,always.
just my view.
ray

fullywired23 21:18 07 Sep 03

Thanks for the reply and clarification
Regards Viejo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced