cable select

wis 09:00 31 Aug 08

just installed two new dvd drives, understand
master and slave settings, just out of interest
what is cable select for, or what does it do

skidzy 09:10 31 Aug 08

* Master: The device that is attached to the "master connector" sees the CSEL signal as grounded, because its connector has pin #28 attached to the cable, and the host's connector has that signal grounded. Seeing the "zero value" (grounded), the device sets itself to operate as master (device 0).
* Slave: The drive that is attached to the "slave connector" does not see the CSEL signal as grounded, because its connector is not attached to the CSEL signal on the cable. Seeing this "no connection", the device configures itself as a slave (device 1).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:32 31 Aug 08

Only works properly if you have the 80 wire ide cables not the 40 wire cables.

T0SH 11:10 31 Aug 08

There is a quite comprehensive description of the PATA interface including cable select here

click here

Cheers HC

DieSse 14:11 31 Aug 08

And when you use "cable select" the cable specifies the end connector as the Master position - and the middle connector as the Slave position.

It's very useful to me as I use plug-in caddy drives. So I set all drives to Cable Select - then the top caddy is the Master - any drive I plug in there is automatically Master (and in the lower caddy, likewise, is Slave.)

Useful for troubleshooting other drives, and swapping Operating Systems.

wis 23:24 01 Sep 08

many thanks to all,given me a clear understanding
of this jumper possition ive never gone near

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…