Cable router suggestion

HXP 21:50 21 Nov 04

Hi,

I am after some advice on which is the best router to buy ( or at least what to look out for spec wise)

I have broad band via Telewest ( cable)
3 PC's in my house old p166 with win95, athlon 850 win 98se & a new 3.7 athlon windows XP all currently connected via a second hand 16 port hub.

I want to share internet access with the 850 & the 3.7.

I also have an iPAQ 2200 which later I would like to go wireless with but that bit is just a wish & if it doubles the price then can do without.

I think some routers have built in firewalls although i also use Norton nternet security on one machine & AVG + zone alarm on the other.

Anyone have any suggestions pleae as I have never used a router before.

thanks

Night Ryder 22:01 21 Nov 04

prety much all routers have a firewall. I would recomend you have a look at the "Netgear" website.
I've used these devices for some time with very little problem. Just search for "Netgear".

SEASHANTY 22:09 21 Nov 04

The Linksys website has a fair amount of info on routers and connecting up guides. I use the non wireless BEFSR41 to connect three PC's to the internet. They all run XP Home and this router has worked well over the past two years (NTL cable BB 750k). This router has four ports with switch. Its a cheap one. Wireless is more convenient and they have info on this type of setup under the "educate"
tab at top of the page. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…