Cable modem and WiFi laptop

Mutant_Llama 08:51 01 Aug 05

Howdy, bit of advice please!

I have a standard home PC linked to Blueyonder broadband and will soon be getting a new laptop (with a wireless NIC).

Could you advise on the best way for me to keep a cabled connection to my desktop PC but then get wirless networking to the new laptop?

Also, what is the best security to prevent someone 'borrowing' you wireless bandwidth?

Ta!

Mutant_Llama 11:00 01 Aug 05

Bump!

Jackcoms 11:13 01 Aug 05

1. Buy a wireless broadband router - one that has its own ADSL modem built in. There are literally dozens to choose from.

2. Then install an ordinary LAN card in the PC.

3. You already have a wireless network adapter in the laptop.

4. Set up the router (takes about 15 minutes) by connecting a lead from it to the ADSL microfilter, and a LAN lead from the router to the first computer. You will now have broadband internet access on this machine via the router.

5. Now reboot everything, including the router, and watch the computers pick up the internet connection. On the wireless machine it will probably be necessary to click on the adapter icon in the system tray (bottom right) and tell it to detect wireless networks (although it may do this on its own). Then tell it to use the connection it finds.

That's it - you should/will have two machines sharing the connection via the router. You don’t need to leave the router on all the time because it will automatically login to the broadband gateway each time it's turned on - all you do is watch the lights.

SEASHANTY 11:41 01 Aug 05

ADSL modem/routers do not work with cable broadband.

mgmcc 12:08 01 Aug 05

What you require is what is usually described as a "Wireless Cable/DSL Broadband Router". This is a stand-alone router which connects by ethernet cable to your Blueyonder cable modem.

As already indicated, YOU MUST NOT get a combined Router/ADSL Modem as these are only for use with ADSL broadband via the phone line.

The wireless router which I use with Blueyonder is this Buffalo model - click here

Also suitable would be this Belkin model - click here or this Linksys model - click here

Jackcoms 15:49 01 Aug 05

Oops, my mistake. Sorry!

If I'd read your post properly, I would have seen that you are using cable BB. :-((

Mutant_Llama 20:04 01 Aug 05

Cheers for the assist, at least I know where to go now =)

SEASHANTY 11:15 02 Aug 05

The user guide for the Linksys WRT54G router linked to by mgmcc is in .pdf listed here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017