Cable modem hook-up to new PC

golfpro 11:10 11 May 06

I don't know whether this is a net working problem or not but here goes.
My existing PC has a cable modem for the Internet. When it was first installed 4 years ago the guys that did the installation, installed some sort of card into the PC case, and the external cable modem plugs into this.
Is this a network card, if not what is it? and would I need to install this into my new PC which has a network (LAN) card already installed.
Sorry if this sounds a bit complicated.
My OS is XP home.

mgmcc 12:19 11 May 06

The card would almost certainly have been a network adapter (card) and as your new computer already has one, you can connect with that. You can tell quite easily because, if you unplug the cable from the old PC, its "RJ45" plug should fit into the new PC's network port.

Much less likely is that the old PC didn't have a USB port and they installed a PCI card with one or more USB ports, so that the Cable Modem could connect via USB.

NOTE: To swap over from the old PC to the new one, you should power off the Cable Modem and leave it without power for a couple of minutes. This is important so that it "releases" the association between the existing connection and the IP address it allocated to the connection. It will then detect a new connection and allocate a new IP address to it. Power on the Cable Modem and wait until it has booted fully with all usual lights displayed, then boot the PC.

golfpro 13:53 11 May 06

My old PC did not have a network card, but did have two USB 1 ports. The cable modem imput connection to the PC is like a telephone connection, and the connection to the external. modem is via a television areal plug.
I haven't taken delivery yet of the new PC, so I don't know what the LAN connection looks like.

rodriguez 18:16 11 May 06

The connection between the modem and the PC sounds like an RJ45 connection so you should be able to plug the cable modem straight into your new PC. The television aerial plug is actually a fibre optic cable that brings the Internet signal into the house, so you don't really need to worry about that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…