//some 3rd party need geo

cable modem

F11F7 22:31 23 Apr 03

whitch is better for connecting pc to broadband
usb2 or ethernet card and why

The PC Doctor 22:42 23 Apr 03

They are both just as good all though many will tell you that Ethernet is best. The main reason for this is that a USB connection will take more processing power from your CPU that an Ethernet Card. The Ethernet connection is no faster than a USB connection (Well it wasn't for me and believe me I well and truly tested it)

I've run both USB and Ethernet on a 3 PC home network using ICS and I could see no difference.

Go with which ever works best in your circumstances.

mcullum_DX4Life 22:47 23 Apr 03

No difference for me either with my ntl: connection. TBH USB does not really use much processing power and that argument is ncient in toays world of high speed computers although if you have a lower spec PC then you may find it slightly speeds things up. USB is the simpler way i have to admit.

PSF 22:48 23 Apr 03

Most people prefer to use an ethernet/network card, usb can cause conflicts with some other usb devices.

Using USB2 would not make it any faster as the broadband is on max of 2mb at the moment.

I have tried to set up someones cable modem with usb and had nothing but problems with it. I changed to a network card and all then worked ok.

You will find that some people will swear by usb, some will swear at it...

The majority of people on this site would recommend a network card.

PSF 19:49 26 Apr 03

I have just read this on the NTL site:

If you are using USB to connect you will require a minimum of 80% system resources to be able to achieve optimum browsing and download speeds. System resource availability is dependent upon the number of tasks the computer is being asked to perform at any one time. Certain non-essential programs load as soon as the PC starts and will consume your precious resources without your knowledge. You can aid this by closing down all unnecessary applications. This very rarely affects an Ethernet customer, as they are far less reliant on the formerly mentioned system resources.

A customer using USB can expect a greater fluctuation in speed than a customer with the same machine using an Ethernet Card. This is due in part to the system resources mentioned previously.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…