Cable Crossover versus Straight Through

  frager 00:23 14 Mar 06

Apologies for a beginner’s very simple question. I never seem to be able to get the precise answer on the net to the exact question I have.
I have a Netgear DG834GT router. The cable supplied by Netgear is too short for where I want to position my router in relation to the computer and I need to buy a longer one.
What type of cable should I buy - a crossover or a straight through to connect my computer to the router?
I have tried to examine the cable supplied by Netgear but I cannot determine what type of cable it is.
As an addendum: What type of cable do I use if I need to connect my laptop directly to my PC with nothing in between?



  LastChip 01:10 14 Mar 06

Cables via a router or switch are straight though (patch) cables.

Cables connecting two computers DIRECTLY together are crossover cables.

  frager 11:20 14 Mar 06

Thanks for your clear reply. When I thought about it I realised that when connecting two computers DIRECTLY the output from one must become the input to the other.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now