Cable connection to transfer files between PCs

Mike_H 07:59 28 Apr 05

Hi,

My current PC runs windows 2000, my new one XP. I'd like to transfer files from old to new. Given that I won't be using my old PC after that, I'm hoping there is a simple means of connecting the two, possibly via USB or another cable.

Any suggestions please?

Many thanks in advance!

mgmcc 09:19 28 Apr 05

If both PCs already have network adapters installed, you are as well to get a "crossover" ethernet cable and network them. It will be as cheap an option as any.

If you don't have a network adapter installed in one/both PCs, then the alternative is "Direct Cable Connection". This requires either a special "Direct Cable Connection Parallel Cable" or a "Null Modem Serial Cable" (not a standard serial cable as used to connect to, for example, an external modem).

There are also special USB cables designed specifically for connecting two PCs by USB for file transfer, but this will be more expensive for a one-off transfer of files. DO NOT connect two PCs directly with standard USB cables.

Other options:

- burn files to CD/DVD

- USB memory sticks

- temporarily mount your existing hard drive as 'slave' in the new PC to transfer files

TomJerry 10:20 28 Apr 05

usb 2 version: £6.46 click here

USB 1 version: £5.42 click here

better to get usb 2 becuase it is faster and work with usb 1 port as well

Maplin sell similar stuff at £29.99

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…