Cable confusion

Aziraphael 20:16 12 Mar 07

I ahve just built a new system for my sister, and have a problem. She wanted a card reader for her digital photos, so I fitted on the in e3.5" bat at the top of the case. This works off the mobo USB header, which is at the bottom of the mobo.

The problem is this.....the cable on the card reader is about 1" too short to reach the header. It has a 9pin female connector whic JUST reaches when I use the supplied adaptor which is about 1" tall.

HOWEVER this means the cable is taught and obstructs the PCIe slot exactly where her second graphics card should be.

I have tried in vain to find some kind of extension or even the bare cables and a male and female head piece to make my own.

Any suggestions?

I letterally only need about 4" of cable.

Fingees 21:49 12 Mar 07

I am not sure, but you could ask your local computer shop. not big store like Pc world.

I find they can sometimes make odd cables up with no problem, and little cost.

Just a thought.

keith-236785 22:10 12 Mar 07

as the wires in a USB cable are colour coded, couldnt you cut the cable in the middle and fit your own section of 4 wire cable inbetween (or 2 lots of twin wires) the connections would need to be well made and insulated but i cant see any reason why this wouldnt work as you only need a short extension which is well within the limits of a USB cable length.

please wait for others with more electrical insight than i have before reaching for the scissors :-)

woodchip 22:19 12 Mar 07

Why did you put the card reader at the top?

3.5" bay's are underneath the 5.5" bays

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…