Cable broadband & Networking

Mysticnas 11:38 24 Apr 06

Hi all,

I seem to remember someone saying that you can't network a cable (NTL/Telewest) broadband modem as the connecting PC nees to be logged on/softwae installed.

The only way possible to do it is for one PC to act as a gateway/server thing and share it's internet connection.

Surely this can't be the case!

Can it???

wallbash 11:52 24 Apr 06

On NTL , have computers (4) networked with a US robotics Router
It works

Mysticnas 12:08 24 Apr 06

thanks for that.

I've decided to sign up with Talk Talk anyway.

i can get 6.5Mb on my line so not bad.

Thanks

;o)

mgmcc 14:07 24 Apr 06

I've got two desktops, two laptops and a MacMini connected through a Linksys router to Telewest Cable. I would suggest that connecting multiple computers with Cable is probably much easier to set up than ADSL.

<<< I've decided to sign up with Talk Talk anyway >>>

Read the "small print" very carefully. I've heard that what they are offering is not nearly as attractive as it first appears once you go into it in detail. I've also heard that, if you do have any problems with the service, getting any sort of advice or help can be extremely difficult.

Mysticnas 14:31 24 Apr 06

seems fine to me.

Can't see any other problems with it.

I'm limited to 6.5Mb in my area which is fine. Current paying EFH £20 for a 2Mb line that's rarely ever at 2Mb and it's unlimited but has a fair use policy.

TT is capped to 40GB but honestly i don't think i'd use up the quota.

Can you see anything that you don't like in the small print?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…