Cable BB to Wireless Network

Confab 13:05 16 Sep 04

My sister has asked me to set up a wireless network in her house. She currently has NTL cable broadband and, as far as I can remember, she has a cable that comes into her house from NTL which plugs into her modem and the modem connects to her PC via the USB port.

I am hoping that I can buy a Belkin wireless broadband modem router but I am slightly confused as to how the set up would work. I believe that the Belkin Wireless modem router plugs into a phone line, as would an ordinary modem, but as she has NTL cable broadband would I need to buy any additional equipment to connect the wireless modem router to her BB provider? I’m not sure how cable broadband works

I understand that I’ll need to buy a network card as the main PC will be hardwired and a wireless card for any additional PC’s she want to add. It’s just the NTL cable to modem router bit I’m confused about.

Any help would be appreciated.

Baledor 14:03 16 Sep 04

then the easiest thing would be to network the 2 PCs' together and share the internet connection. Not that I am advocating a particular product over another but Linksys produce several products which will allow you to achieve this.

You will need to set up a peer to peer network, I have to admit I have not done it wirelessly, but I don't think that it should be that much more difficult than a wired LAN.

Confab 14:50 16 Sep 04

Thanks for the reply but its the NTL cable to Wireless Modem Router that I'm concerned about. Has anyone conneted NTL broadband to a wireless Network Modem Router and if so what cable was required?

I'll be conneting more that one PC - the main one being downstairs and connected via cable from the router and the additional PC's will be upstairs connected via wirelss netwrk.

Its just that I'm not sure I can go and buy this click here and it will work with NTL cable broadband.

Thanks

JonnyTub 15:00 16 Sep 04

all i did for my usb modem was a to leave it alone. I added a wireless access point to the host machine. this allowed pc's all over the house to access the net, files and folders.

SEASHANTY 15:01 16 Sep 04

The NTL cable network uses a separate cable modem or one contained in the set-top-box if you have their TV system. You need a broadband cable/dsl router
which does not have an integral modem - the ones with the integral modem are ADSL routers. I do not use wireless but have the Linksys BEFSR41 4 port cable/DSL 4 port router with switch. Two PC's are connected to the router ports from their respective ethernet cards and the WAN port of the router is connected to the cable modem. Using the main PC hard wired to the cable modem you will be better off
using a RJ45 ethernet patch cable between the main PC and the router. The router connects to the cable modem. A wireless access point will be needed between one of the router ports and the remote PC or PC's. It will also be necessary to clone in the MAC address of the originally registered PC with NTL into the router to avoid reregistration.

SEASHANTY 15:04 16 Sep 04

Also have a look at the setup for NTL Broadband on Robin Walkers website
click here

SEASHANTY 15:08 16 Sep 04

Networking information on the Linksys website
click here

SEASHANTY 15:15 16 Sep 04

A typical setup with diagrams from Networklab
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5