c00002la fatal system error-Virus or Reg error?

buel 09:52 27 Jun 10

Hello, my friend has had the above error come up on his laptop when he starts it up then the old blue screen. Luckily he then chose the 'Last known configuration, and it is ok. What id like to know is what IS this error please? A virus maybe? How can he stop this happening again?

gengiscant 09:58 27 Jun 10

A little more detail of the error is really needed. Take your pick. click here

johndrew 09:59 27 Jun 10

Have a look here click here. It could be a corrupt user account.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:33 27 Jun 10

Back up recent documnets and do a system resore back to a point before the problem started.

buel 20:41 27 Jun 10

Ok, he could only restore back to a point a few days ago and this didn't help, he then tried 'last known good configuration' and it worked, he then updated Malwarebytes and run a scan and then the scan found something and when he restarted he gets 'themed32.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem'! and he cant get into safe mode now either!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:41 27 Jun 10

You now need to boot from XP CD or a Rescue CD or Linux CD

Search for “%SysDir%\uxtheme.dll~RF5bac.TMP” (or with similar name).

Rename “uxtheme.dll~RF5bac.TMP” to “uxtheme.dll”.

restart the PC and it should boot into windows OK

buel 22:34 27 Jun 10

Wow! Thank you for that, do you mean type “%SysDir%\uxtheme.dll~RF5bac.TMP” into Windows search?

buel 07:19 28 Jun 10

Thank you for that Fruit Bat, How do i do that, do you mean type “%SysDir%\uxtheme.dll~RF5bac.TMP” into Windows search?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:10 28 Jun 10

Depends on what you use as a rescue boot disk - linux will have a search facility.

If you are using XP CD in recovery console at the C:\windows prompt
it will be in the i386 folder you can expand it from there

D:\ expand uxtheme.dl_ c:\windows\system32

buel 20:44 28 Jun 10

Hi, i will be using an xp CD/DVD, however, im not sure exactly how to get to C:\windows prompt ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:32 28 Jun 10

a. Insert the Windows XP CD in your CD drive and restart your computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.

b. When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; you need to choose the repair or recover option by pressing R .

c. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the recovery console.

d. When your prompted, type the Administrator password.
Note the drive letter assigned to the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD. It is displayed in a format similar to the following

D: \Device\CdRom0

. At the command prompt,

Type cd c:\windows\system32

Type expand drive \i386\uxtheme.dl_ (where drive is the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD), and then press ENTER. For example:

expand D:\i386\uxtheme.dl_
Note the underscore character after the "L" in Kernel32.dl_

The following message appears:

uxtheme.dl_
1 file(s) expanded.

7. Type in exit, after the computer restarts remove the Windows XP CD and start the computer normally.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…