C-mos battery low warning.

en1gma12 22:56 14 Feb 05

Hi,

We have another pc running win98 se which gave us the warning on startup that the c-mos battery was running low. We bought a new battery but we are still getting the warning. The problem is, it wipes the pc's clock which renders the anti-virus program out of date. Why would this problem be happening?

Hairy Yeti 23:00 14 Feb 05

Did the old battery leak? I'm thinking you may have corroded/dirty battery contacts.

Never again 23:00 14 Feb 05

Sorry to state the obvious, but was it a new battery and did you reset the jumpers and clear the CMOS when you fitted the new one?

FelixTCat 23:02 14 Feb 05

Dirty contacts may be fooling the computer into thinking the battery voltage is low. Try gently wiping the battery and the contacts with a moist cloth or cotton bud

en1gma12 23:04 14 Feb 05

no, how do I do that?

FelixTCat 09:17 15 Feb 05

1. Take out the battery and gently clean the socket it came from.

2. Gently clean the battery.

3. Return battery to socket.

4. Replace computer case.

5. Threaten computer with violence if it doesn't behave.

6. Switch on.

en1gma12 10:04 15 Feb 05

Sorry Felix, my question was for Never Again, we must have posted our messages at the same time. I have cleaned the battery and contact though and the pc booted up ok. This isn't conclusive though because the c-mos warning didn't come up at every boot up.

FelixTCat 10:11 15 Feb 05

Sorry about the crossed messages. It was the threat to the computer that did the trick. Always works ;)

en1gma12 21:46 16 Feb 05

Unfortunately the problem persists. It doesn't put up the warning at every boot up though. The main problem is that because it screws with the clock it screws with the anti-virus software. The software was saying it last updated on 13.9.2005, yet we are only in February so any updates between now and then won't install because the anti-virus software thinks it already has them. I have removed the anti-virus software (AVG in case anyone is curious)and re-installed it. This c-mos battery warning is starting to become a real pain in the proverbial...

FelixTCat 00:31 17 Feb 05

Hhmm. When the battery goes low, the clock usually reset backwards, not forwards. Do a full system antivirus scan overnight and a full spyware scan. Something is funny . . .

en1gma12 12:45 17 Feb 05

The clock resets itself back to september 2002. Its the anti-virus software that goes forward in time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…