C-Media CMI8738/C3DX install problem

scotbruce 21:07 11 Sep 06

AMD Athlon XP 1.5Ghz, Asrock K7S41GX, SiS 741GX, 512MB RAM, 200GB HDD, running XP Home SP2.

Have just recovered the above system after lengthy and repeated repair/re-installs, eventually discovering that I had a faulty VGA lead!

Have formatted and re-installed, but can’t get the audio back, though.

It’s a C-Media CMI8738/C3DX and I have tried the 0639 XP driver, downloaded from C-Media, Driverguide.com and elsewhere.

Installation stalls for ages at cmijack.dat before finally completing and the required restart always ends in a blank screen - after the XP logo and before log-on - and requires a system restore via Safe Mode.

Any thoughts?

Thx in advance.

ed-0 21:21 11 Sep 06

have you used the driver from the AS Rock site. click here

Also did you remove any yellow exclamation marks from device manager before try a new driver?

scotbruce 21:27 11 Sep 06

Tried that driver but it won't install - soundcard only, not onboard?!
No exclamation marks in Device Manager - all devices, other than the sound, working fine.

ed-0 21:52 11 Sep 06

" soundcard only, not onboard?!"

So it's NOT the onboard sound but a sound card, Is that right?

have you disabled on board sound in the bios. click here

scotbruce 12:25 19 Sep 06

Sorry, guys, both for the work-enforced delay and the misleading post. It's a soundcard, but the error message read as though the software related to soundcards and I only had onboard. Device manager does see the card, though, and onboard sound is disabled.

Tried to install the driver yet again and yet again - long delay on cmijack.dat and this (these!) time(s!) a crash re-boot, which resulted in a black screen, yet again necessitating a safe mode system restore.

Should I just give up on this long-time installed card?

Stuartli 14:24 19 Sep 06

Is this the driver you have been using?

click here

Stuartli 14:25 19 Sep 06

You could also try the card in a different PCI slot.

ed-0 17:50 19 Sep 06

" Should I just give up on this long-time installed card? "

No.

Try Stuartli's suggestions and hopefully it will work.

If you get no joy, then post back and I'm sure that someone will look at it in depth.

scotbruce 14:32 22 Sep 06

I've now tried v.2.96 (which I thought was the original driver I used to use), UDA038, WDM0632, WDM0639 and WDM0643, all with the same result.

I think it's time to move on - life's too short and second-hand soundcards ain't that expensive!

jimv7 15:09 22 Sep 06

Try these, newer version than above click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac