C-Drive space

Rob07 11:31 27 Sep 07

Hi there,

I have a notebook with a hardrive capacity of about 40Gb. I know, not very large by todays standards! On looking at my computer it tells me I have 18Gb free and 19Gb used. I have been through the C-Drive and deleted all unwanted files and i can't see where the 19Gb of data is. I simply do not have that much data on it. I have been to file manager and viewed all hidden files and deleted some of these as well. Am I looking in the wrong place? I recently had to re-build this laptop due to a processor failure, if this is any help.

please help!!

Acx 12:12 27 Sep 07

Windows itself will account for a large amount of this. If you reinstalled windows you may have more features running that you had before.

Control panel>add/remove programs>windows components.

if you want to see the larger files you have

Start>search>what size is it>(more than 1mb>search,

when its finished searching click the size column at the top and the results will be sorted into your largest files, in my case usually saved game files(which can be removed).

Taff™ 12:40 27 Sep 07

If you open Windows Explorer (Windows Key + E Key in rapid succession) and right click on the c:\Windows folder then select properties you`ll see the extent of the Windows installation. Mine`s just over 3Gb alone. The try C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName which will tell you the extent of your own data. You can check any folders in the same way.

I`m not sure you should be deleting hidden files and folders on a random basis. Try CCleaner from click here Accept the defaults and run the cleaner. It will give you a summary of how much space you`ve saved.

Also do a search of the C: for *.tmp files. Sort them by date and delet all except those of today`s date.

I am Spartacus 12:43 27 Sep 07

Also empty the Recycle Bin

have a look at system restore ,for disk space useage

right click my computer>properties settings>adjust to 1 or 2 %,xp needs min 200mb .

check amount of virtual memory,ideally set to one and half times the ram installed.

right click my computer>advanced>performance settings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…