C Drive properties: Space Used/left Pie Chart

smartdave 16:27 20 Feb 03

I have a 8.01GB hard disk. The pie chart shows almost all blue (used) and no pink. The "Used Space" shows (*&(&%^%**(& bytes or some such. The "Free Space" says 115 GB, which is great but still 107GB more than the whole disk.
I ran Norton disk doctor which said do I want to correct the error in the space allocation. Before running that I had 155GB free!
I think I probably have 2 - 3 GB free

jazzypop 16:39 20 Feb 03

The File Allocation Table (FAT), which tracks what files are where on the disk, how much space they take up, etc is corrupt.

Fortunately, there is a backup copy of the FAT on the disk, which Norton is offering to restore as the main FAT. Let it.

smartdave 16:50 20 Feb 03

I agreed to Norton's proposal and that changed free space from 155BGB to 115GB! Presumably the FAT has been corrupted for a while.

jazzypop 17:08 20 Feb 03

Oops :)

OK, try using the scandisk utility - see click here for detailed info.

One exception is if you installed the drive using something like Maxblast, the Maxtor drive utility - if so, see click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…