c drive keeps filling up

christyshaw 18:35 20 Aug 10

Last night a virus - "Security Suite" appeared on my computer, but it seems to have cleared off with the aid of some programmes and cleaning up.
However, today my computer has been repeatedly coming up with the "Your are low on disk space" message, which at first i tried clearing with the standard windows disk cleanup tool, but it did not work. Within about half an hour disk space had gone from 120mb down to 0mb. I used CCleaner, and some manual deletion of programmes and unneeded files and the space went up to 450mb, which seemed fine however it had gone right back down to a critical level again within half an hour. With even more deletion, I have managed to get it up to 700mb, yet it is decreasing yet again, even while I leave the computer idle.
I've have the majority of files on my external hard drive, and the rest on an E drive, so they cannot be clogging up the drive at all.
Could this be related to the virus, or not? Either way, how can the problem be solved?

woodchip 19:23 20 Aug 10

Virus, Still very much at work

Sea Urchin 19:28 20 Aug 10

Follow these instructions very carefully, and you should be able to remove the virus - scroll down the page to Automated Removal Instructions

click here

Mr Mistoffelees 19:36 20 Aug 10

A couple of links to information that my help you:

click here click here

Unfortunately removal is not straightforward.

christyshaw 19:55 20 Aug 10

thanks for confirming that, however after running avira antivirus scan, nothing has shown up.
None of the processes, files or register key entrys appear to be on the computer, and antivirus software is opening fine.
Last night I believed I thoroughly removed it, yet something still seems to be going on?
After attempting a lot of the solutions suggested there, it has not been solved.

johnnyrocker 19:57 20 Aug 10

have you run a check with system restore switched off?

johnny

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:22 20 Aug 10

450mb
Is nothing your pagefile (virtual memory ) will eat this up very quickly.

Right click MY Computer - select properties - Advanced tab - Performance -
advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a different drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory
= set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the
PC to crash (restart).

VoG II 20:25 20 Aug 10

click here and scroll down to the last post.

Sea Urchin 20:44 20 Aug 10

thanks for confirming that, however after running avira antivirus scan, nothing has shown up.

Avira won't touch it - you need to run Malwarebytes as per the Bleeping Computer link posted by both me and Mr Mistoffelees - but you need to follow the whole process to the letter.

AL47 22:21 20 Aug 10

^ yes you really need to follow these guys advice.

One of my families PCs had a similar thing happen, it really was a bugger to clear out, follow the advice

johnnyrocker 21:35 21 Aug 10

what was the result?

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…