C: drive filling up by itself.help!?

sp.602 07:18 08 Jul 15

i observed that my c drive space is decreasing automatically laptop running on windows 8.1 i dont know im losing 2gbs of c drive space everyday i use ccleaner but it doesnt give me my space back did a full system virus scan but no issues found.

what can be the problem?? is it due to windows updates? anything i can do to stop c drive filling up by itself? any help would be appreciated thanks

onthelimit1 08:43 08 Jul 15

Probably automatic backups. Try using the free Windirstat which will show what is on your drive.

alanrwood 10:31 08 Jul 15

Make sure you empty the Recycle Bin or the space remains occupied.

ened 07:19 09 Jul 15

Make sure you are not creating an automatic Restore Point everyday.

john bunyan 08:42 09 Jul 15

AS you have CCleaner, use the Tools , System restore, to remove all but the last couple of restore points.

sp.602 07:47 10 Jul 15

Thank you all for the replies. I deleted old restore points,which i did'nt know occupied that much space! released more than 20 Gbs. thanks!

alanrwood 10:13 10 Jul 15

If so then you need to reset the space available for restore points or it will just build up again.

Control Panel/System/System Protection/Configure then set the space available for each drive or disable it for your non-system drives. This may mean that your existing restore points are deleted as part of the process so make a new after this.

john bunyan 13:30 10 Jul 15

I would only have a restore point for the C drive, if you have partitions. I assume you back up, and make images of that drive, and copies of the data, on another drive. I suggest you set the C partition space to about 12% max. It will automatically delete old restore points ones when it gets full.

sp.602 06:54 11 Jul 15

Thanks, i have only C drive in my laptop. maximum disk space used for system image is 25%(the default setting)and current usage is about 1.2Gb. how much should i leave for restore points?

alanrwood 11:03 11 Jul 15

I usually leave around 1.5GB. It is unlikely that you will ever need more.

john bunyan 17:15 11 Jul 15

I would have no more than 10 to 12 % reserved for restore points. Often, if I am going to install a new programme, I create a restore point beforehand - then , if there is a snag, it is easier than uninstalling.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…