C drive disc full

BingoBoy 13:22 06 Aug 12

The disc on my rather ancient Dell Dimension 2400 has a capacity of 74GB running XP home SP3. A good few months ago I purchased an external hard drive and moved all my pictures off my PC onto the external hard to free up about 15GB of disc space. I was surprised to get a warning message over the weekend saying that I didn't have enough disc space left whilst I was trying to restore one of my kids IPOD touch. I can't understand what is taking up so much disc space. I don't have any material amounts of music on my PC, I do have 1GB of pictures but none of the other files amount to a huge amount so any ideas what is eating my disc space? A couple of months back I purchased 2 IPOD touch's (the 8gb versions)and as a result reinstalled the dreaded Itunes. I am therefore assuming that Itunes holds a back-up of each so must be taking upto 16GB of space if they were both full but they are not. Can I utilise my external hardrive to site Itunes so it does not clog up my PC? If so how do I do this?

birdface 13:33 06 Aug 12

Maybe try running disc clean up to see what that will remove.You could also remove all but the last restore point while in there.

Maybe do a defrag and see if that helps.

Apart from that not got a clue but no doubt someone else will be able to give you further advice.

KRONOS the First 13:35 06 Aug 12

What you should be doing is buying a decent sized HDD (500GB) and replacing the rather paltry 80GB one that you currently have. It is a simple enough process to clone your current HDD to a new bigger one and then replace the smaller one.

BingoBoy 13:35 06 Aug 12

Disc clean up cleared about 500MB. How do you remove restore points?

Secret-Squirrel 13:41 06 Aug 12

TreeSize Free is an excellent tool that'll show you where all the disk space has gone.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:45 06 Aug 12

If your happy the machine is working OK then switch off system restore it will delete the restore points

Right click My computer on the desktop - select properties - system restore tab

After you have switched off system restore look in the windows folder you may see a lot of files in Blue starting with $ these can be deleted as well they are restore points after updates.

Once this is done reboot the machine - go back into system restore and switch it back on again to create a new restore point.

Peter 19:14 06 Aug 12

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

"After you have switched off system restore look in the windows folder you may see a lot of files in Blue starting with $ these can be deleted as well they are restore points after updates."

When you write "files in Blue starting with $" do you mean "folders in Blue starting with $"?

Peter.

Terry Brown 20:17 06 Aug 12

For a solultion please refer to query ' Went to sort out my C drive' (this forum) Terry

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:28 06 Aug 12

No

leave the blue folders alone

if you have no blue $ files they have probably been cleared when using disk cleanup.

birdface 20:56 06 Aug 12

Click on disk clean up and once it opens click on more options.Then click on the clean up that removes all but the last restore point.

BingoBoy 23:03 07 Aug 12

I have run the treesize tool and must admit it doesn't mean much to me. However, I have noticed 53,053MB of files sitting in Temp which comprises of loads of files called 14.5MB Microsoft.NET framework KB982168. Any idease whatthis is and how I can get rid or if I can get rid?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…