C drive is 'creeping up'

Linkslade 18:55 PM 11 Mar 13

I have a single SSD 128 gb drive partitioned 109gb on C and 10 gb on D (recovery) on a Windows Medion desktop running Vista..

Windows,program files etc are on C. All downloads are directed to an external drive.

Each time I boot up the used space on c increases slightly. Cannot remember this happening on the original HDD and wonder if something is amiss.

Any advice welcome.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:29 PM 11 Mar 13

Has it not got another internal drive?

I would have installed programs on another drive and

My docs temp folders pagefile etc. all set for another drive.

Linkslade 20:21 PM 11 Mar 13

Hi Fruit bat,

Thanks for your reply.

There's no other drive, that's the reason I need the external. Would it be wise to partition the c drive and isolate the OS?

hiwatt 20:24 PM 11 Mar 13

system restore?Try flushing all but your last restore point and see if the drive space increases?

hiwatt 20:26 PM 11 Mar 13

I should say that it will increase but if you leave it off for a bit then see if if it stays the same after rebooting!

Linkslade 20:30 PM 11 Mar 13

Thanks for your reply hiwatt.

Did a system restore, ran mbam,and an av scan and check disk and all was OK.

Still creeps up on boot up.

woodchip 20:33 PM 11 Mar 13

Virus adding files can do this

Linkslade 21:04 PM 11 Mar 13

Yes Woodchip that did cross my mind as my AV has been updating quite a bit recently. Maybe it's best if I wait awhile and see if that's the problem.

wee eddie 21:08 PM 11 Mar 13

The joys of Windows:

Your creep will be made up of 'Restore Points' and Windows Indexing Files, amoung other things!

hiwatt 21:24 PM 11 Mar 13

**Thanks for your reply hiwatt. Did a system restore,** I suggested turning system restore off as I think it could be that that's "eating up" your drive space?Vista by default uses a large amount of dosc space for system restore.Try turning it off and reboot and see if the drive space remains the same after reboot?

hiwatt 21:25 PM 11 Mar 13

Should say disc space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11