c disk corruption

hallieballie 22:34 19 Sep 04

scan disk recently found corrupted segments on my hard drive and it said they could not be fixed by windows. does this mean i need to get a new hard drive? iam running xp pro and have an 80 gig hard drive. can anybody help me please?

CurlyWhirly 22:52 19 Sep 04

I am not sure but I think that Windows retrieves the information from the bad sectors and then flags them so that they can't be used again to avoid further problems.
CW

hallieballie 22:55 19 Sep 04

hi curly wurly can u tell me if it stops me from defraging if disk is corrupted

stalion 23:24 19 Sep 04

de-frag is ok

kangawallafox 02:22 20 Sep 04

Try going to the HDD manufacturers site as most of them have diagnostic and repair programes for download.

Valvegrid 06:59 20 Sep 04

To answer your question about defraging, no it won't stop you defraging the drive, at least it doesn't in 98SE, it should just mark it as a bad sector then it will ignore it. It could be some bad files on those sectors. We had a computer at work that had a couple of bad sectors for years, I pensioned the computer off a couple of months ago through old age, not because of the drive.

See if you can do what kangawallafox suggests.

hallieballie 12:36 20 Sep 04

thanks everyone for your help most appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…