C Cleaner - Uninstaller Questions

Fastflys 14:37 24 Nov 06

I have been using C Cleaner for some time now and find it very good and safe but I have never used it’s uninstaller programme [worried in case using it might conflict with XP’s own Add/Remove programme and Bal*s things up].

In another thread I was advised that C Cleaner’s uninstaller was better than WinXP’s own Add/Remove programme as not all files are removed after using WinXP’s programme.

Would somebody kindly explain to me at what point I would use C Cleaner’s uninstaller programme. Is it after I have first tried removing the unwanted programme using XP’s Add/Remove programme or instead of using XP’s Add/Remove programme?

If I were to use C Cleaner’s uninstaller programme the obvious function/button I would choose would be the “Run Uninstaller” button. Would someone let me know when and why I would use the other function/buttons:
A: “Rename Entry”
B: “Delete Entry”
C: “Save To Text File”

If the answers to the above are obvious then I apologise in advance but they’re not obvious to me.

Regards
FF

birdface 14:49 24 Nov 06

Well dont know the answer, Never ever thought about deleting file from C Cleaner, But tried it just now, and works fine,Always used Add Remove,Might just use C Cleaner now,

birdface 15:52 24 Nov 06

You have a good point there, I usually use Add Remove to delete unwanted programs,then run C Cleaner to get rid of the bits left behind,So if I delete it from C Cleaner,It should get rid of everything,

rezeeg 16:07 24 Nov 06

I've always understood them to be (but am open to correction):

A: = renaming the program, but I don't know why you would want to do this.

B: = after using a programs uninstaller sometimes the programs name remains in the add/remove list, and here you can delete it.

C: = save a text list of your programs as a document/text file, (but why would you want this?).

trispen911 08:33 25 Nov 06

Hi,

Very valid point you've raised there.

I'd always use the program's own installer myself, but it's my personal taste - don't know why. I'd agree with rezeeg's understanding, that's how I took the options too, though I don't know why they're there; they seem a bit unnecessary to me.

By the way, I reckon CCLeaner's an excellent program but it can be a bit enthusiastic on occasion - I always, always create a Restore Point first just in case!

Col

Fastflys 12:17 25 Nov 06

It would appear that C Cleaner uninstaller is the best programme for removing all files of an unwanted programme and should be used in preference to WinXP’s Add/Remove programme.

Don’t bother using C Cleaner uninstaller’s other function buttons and for safety, create a restore point first.

Is there anything else of interest that has not been covered or have I summed up?

trispen911 08:45 26 Nov 06

Hi Fastflys

Personally, if the prog I'm going to uninstall came with its own uninstaller I'd use that, followed when convenient by CCleaner to tidy up any bits and pieces.

If the prog doesn't have it's own uninstaller I'd use the Add/Remove programme facility followed again when convenient by CCleaner to tidy up.

I only harp on about making a Restore Point because once Ccleaner removed something that caused me no end of a headache before I realised what had happened; I feel most of us, myself included, don't use Restore Point enough when "fiddling".

I always say there's often no "correct" way of doing virtually anything on a PC, you find a way that suits you and use it.

Fastflys 19:43 26 Nov 06

What I’m trying to achieve is to be able to uninstall a programme and know that all traces of it have been removed. Many times when using “Explore” to view my hard drive I find folders/files from supposedly uninstalled programmes still there.

I’ve had this happen when I’ve uninstalled using the programme’s own uninstaller or WinXP’s Add/Remove.

Is leaving folders/files behind after uninstalling programmes normal in computer world?

Thought I’d cracked it when, in another thread I was informed that C Cleaner’s uninstaller was superior to XP’s.

birdface 20:12 26 Nov 06

Best way to try i suppose is delete something that you have on your Add Remove, But delete by Using C Cleaner,Once it has been deleted, Run C Cleaner,See if it still picks up any details of what you have just deleted, If nothing picked up you know C Cleaner does the job properly and better,A very good question to ask, Cant wait to hear the final verdict.

Fastflys 21:25 26 Nov 06

Sorry but I can’t oblige as I’m away on business tomorrow and packing etc., must take preference.

Perhaps someone following this thread could put C Cleaner to the test for me and post their verdict?

Regards
FF

trispen911 07:44 27 Nov 06

Hi FF

Just done that for you as an experiment on a redundant program. Uninstalled using Add/Remove, then ran Ccleaner which did pick up some residual bits and removed 'em. Given the time, I'll hunt for any more traces.

I've noticed in the past that each of the progs out there that promise to remove all traces sometimes still leave bits, but each of them finds bits the others haven't!

I reckon Ccleaner is the most efficient though.

Yes, it's quite common for odds and ends to be left behind. That's why some owners of space-challenged drives who install/uninstall a lot eventually snap and clean their drives out completely before reinstalling what they actually want. Wouldn't recommend it though, unless you're desperate and certain you can rebuild things properly! In other words, don't worry about it unless you have to.

Have a good trip.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5