//some 3rd party need geo

Bypass XP password

Wrinkles 20:18 13 Jul 04

I have a problem, I promised to fix my neighbours PC whilst he's on holiday, he's back on Sat and I haven't done it yet. The reason is he forgot to tell me his password. I know it should be relatively simple to bypass it but I've Had no luck so far.
I also realise that this request also raises the the point is it ok to explain how to bypass a password.
Mr moderator will no doubt ajudicate on that
I would appreciate the help, If you don't want to make it public email me.

Djohn 20:50 13 Jul 04

Think it may be best to wait until he gets back. He might have forgot to leave the password for a reason.

Regards. j.

Wrinkles 21:05 13 Jul 04

No He Brought it round the night before he left, we had a beer, then another one and he went home, never gave the password a thought.
I know a way past the password using the CD & repair option, there is a security hole during repair that lets you in if you know how. To do this I need his XP cd and product key. I have his house keys but I Don't feel comfortable searching his office.

jhm 21:16 13 Jul 04

Might be a silly suggestion, but does the motherboard have the 'Clear passwords' jumper

Djohn 21:23 13 Jul 04

Yes, it's an awkward situation to be left in. Sorry but the only way I know is the same as you yourself. :o(

PSF 23:03 13 Jul 04

What is the problem with his pc?

kkkoolkev 23:37 13 Jul 04

if you have a pc running xp go to control panel and user accounts clear your password and then make a password reset disk then try it on your other pc hope this is of some help

Wrinkles 21:51 14 Jul 04

Not that easy KKK I needed to get into windows and the password is needed on the opening screen. Anyway many thank for the suggestions but I did it the hard way. There is a backdoor and once I found it I was in. Obviously I won't disclose how, suffice to say problem solved.
As for the problem Norton internet security, it seems, had managed to let itself be infected by several virus and had moved or deleted the offending files. Stupidly some of the files were part of the Norton system, so in essence it commited suicide. My task was to remove all traces of norton & symantic, get the system up and running and install a proper anti virus system.

Mission accomplished

Wrinkles 21:51 14 Jul 04

Not that easy KKK I needed to get into windows and the password is needed on the opening screen. Anyway many thank for the suggestions but I did it the hard way. There is a backdoor and once I found it I was in. Obviously I won't disclose how, suffice to say problem solved.
As for the problem Norton internet security, it seems, had managed to let itself be infected by several virus and had moved or deleted the offending files. Stupidly some of the files were part of the Norton system, so in essence it commited suicide. My task was to remove all traces of norton & symantic, get the system up and running and install a proper anti virus system.

Mission accomplished

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…