Bypass Windows XP logon screen

elgar 17:51 11 Sep 04

I tried to connect my work laptop to my network at home and I have removed the domain (curiosity, cats and stuff like that), now I can't log on to the laptop. Is there anyway I can restore my previous settings without logging on and without having to admit to my network boss that I am an idiot

neko 21:57 11 Sep 04

Hi

I'd say unless you can sign on as an administrator or a power user and know your domain name, user name and password you will have to see your network bloke.

neko 22:09 11 Sep 04

Hi again

Can you not just go to work. Copy the domain name from another PC as this is shown when you try to log on any domain PC. Then enter your username and password after that?

elgar 21:31 12 Sep 04

The logon diaalog box no longer offers choice of domains, it only allows username and password.

Never mind humble pie here I come!

_plAsma 21:48 12 Sep 04

you must logon as an administrator to edit the domain and if you where an adminsitrator on the local computer you also need to know an admins's user/password for the domain before you add it, id say go to your net admin and blame it on the kids.. :p

VoG II 22:00 12 Sep 04

Start, Run, type in

regedit

and click OK.

Find the following key and delete it:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GinaDLL

If this doesn't work, you can blame it all on me (or your kids or both).

Gaz 25 22:32 12 Sep 04

and see if the hidden administrator is accessable.

elgar 22:59 13 Sep 04

Thanks everyone for the tips, I can't get past login dialog box even in safemode so I think I'll just swallow my pride and own up - mind you "blame the kids" sounds like an attractive option.

A little knowledge ...!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac