Buzzing Hard drive

Phrixos 12:18 17 Oct 05

Hello, people.

(Win XP Pro, SP2, w/2 Maxtor 6Y080M0 HDDs.

It's bad enough my (main) hard drive has suddenly decided to go crazy--for weeks now, it is going almost incessantly, stopping for only a few seconds every ten munites or so--but it actually is buzzing like mad. I feel like I've got a bee in the room with me. I'm afraid the damned thing is going to explode, any minute.

You can take it it is not a fan problem. I've checked.

Both my drives are fairly new. What could be the problem here, and how can I begin addressing it?

Regards,
Phrixos

Legolas 12:32 17 Oct 05

It might sound obvious but you should back up any info you might want to keep just in case your drive fails. Then you could try scanning the drive to identify any problems.

Diemmess 12:40 17 Oct 05

Take Legolas advice first (just in case).

Then the simple things. Uncover the innards and apply a finger to the case of each HD in turn. It is possible that there is a stray screw rattling about or a loose bit of something which sets up a resonant chatter.

pookie 13:02 17 Oct 05

yeap - i had this recently and some screws to hard drive had vibrated themselves loose - tightened them and no problems

Stuartli 13:05 17 Oct 05

As pookie says, in view of the fact that the drives are fairly new, one or more of the screws retaining the HDD in the case bay may have become slightly loose.

However, virtually every instance I've come across of a hard drive making strange noises is that it is on its way out and the advice from Legolas is very sound.

DieSse 13:40 17 Oct 05

Is the noise accompanied by the drive activity light being on? - in other words the drive is very busy most of the time - which may be a software issue.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…