buzz from external hard drive.. unless I touch it?

theDarkness 18:04 10 Mar 11

Does this sound like a failing external hard drive? It works perfectly when connected, but on occassion can make a grinding/buzzing noise, unless I touch the top of it very lightly with a finger! The noise always then disappears, at least for a while. Could this be a failing drive, or one thats possibly fallen before (with its insides or casing perhaps no longer 100% in place)? It does not make a noise when lifted, so nothing seems to be out of place, and it does work ok. Thanks for any tips if possible in diagnosing the problem :) its a 500G Maxtor, a couple of years old.

spuds 18:54 10 Mar 11

Mine sometimes does it, and it seems to work fine.

Not sure now, but Maxtor use to have a test download on their website for checking hard-drives. Might pay to look there, and then run a test?.

BRYNIT 19:11 10 Mar 11

You say touching the case stops the noise. This could mean the drive has come slightly loose inside the case.

robin_x 19:18 10 Mar 11

It's just the thin metal panels vibrating. Nothing to worry about.

My HDD is on the floor, out of it's plastic case (but still in external drive case). and sometimes I get worried by a louder noise only to find a pencil or pen has fallen onto it.

morddwyd 20:21 10 Mar 11

If you really want to be bothered, slacken all the fixing screws and then retighten them, ideally working opposite to opposite as usual.

The case has become a bit strained.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…