buying xp pro but from where?

frankie 14:28 08 Jul 04

buying xp pro but from where? ie what is latest version? i am a home user will not need the tech support bit so will oem version be ok for me i can format and install op systems ok do not want to go for the upgrade version i would like the full version thanks for looking

TomJerry 14:32 08 Jul 04

Any big on-line store will see it. XP Home OEM £61.99 click here

ventanas 16:29 08 Jul 04

Fine, but what "non=peripheral hardware component" are they supplying with it. Without one, that must be insatlled into the same computer as the version of XP, these versions of XP are illegal.

frankie 16:58 08 Jul 04

how can a big store sell illegal op systems?now i am confused...

bruno 17:02 08 Jul 04

I take the point Ventanas made,but I read a lot of the "satisfied customers" reports on e buyer site a few days ago,so they must have got round it somehow.

ventanas 17:07 08 Jul 04

They are sold through many outlets, Overclockers is a well known one. Just as illegal without a piece of qualifying hardware.

The rules for OEM can be confusing, particularly when Microsoft keep changing their mind. But for OEM versions of XP they are clear.

Must be supplied with a new computer or qualifying non-peripheral item of hardware.

Hardware must be installed into same computer.
If this hardware fails or is removed the XP installation must also be removed.

OEM versions of XP can only be supplied by a Microsoft certified system builder.

If you don't believe me try this lot. click here they will tell you the same.

mrdsgs 17:18 08 Jul 04

I believe an IDE cable costing perhaps £1.00 would qualify as "non-peripheral item of hardware".

I bought 5 OEM copies of XP Pro for new systems and have so far only built 3 systems up. I think I paid £75 per copy. I can get more so would be happy to sell on a copy with a cheap piece of qualifying hardware if anyone is interested.

For the record, all 5 copies are genuine microsoft originals and were/are individually sealed/shrink wrapped with Service pack one on the CD and have genuine CoA which should be stuck peramanently to the case. All therefore have their own unique CD Key and therefore activate on-line in the normal way. They are not the "branded Dell" versions that are often seen on eBay - be wary of them as their Cd key has probably already been activated.

mrdsgs

frankie 18:00 08 Jul 04

so to oem or not

Charence 18:00 08 Jul 04

so you're saying that I could buy an OEM version legally if I also purchase something such as an IDE cable.

But then if my IDE cable becomes faulty or if I replace it, legally, I would have to also replace the OEM version?

Charence

frankie 18:35 08 Jul 04

why is it you try to do it all legal and something comes up to make you rethink,its never easy when me and the computer get together,another problem then if i buy an oem and do my constant upgrading i will hit more problems re the oem licence? is this correct?.

frankie 19:56 08 Jul 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…