buying Wireless Internet Router

Davedog8 02:58 15 Jul 10

Hi, I have 20mb cable wired broadband with virgin media, and want a router for a PC that would be in an adjoining room. There is a thick concrete wall separating the two rooms.

I want a stable product that doesn't compromise broadband speed too much. Is it worth spending a lot of money for a good router?

What specifications should I be looking for?
Could anyone suggest specific products?

ta, dd8

Strawballs 04:06 15 Jul 10

I have VM and I use a 5yr old Linksys wrt54g router and can still get signal if I take my laptop over the road to the house opposite, alternatively you might be better off going for home plug network that uses your house wireing, an adapter is plugged into a socket near router and network cable plugged into it and another one plugged into socket in other room and then computer plugged into that.

click here

mgmcc 12:30 15 Jul 10

If buying a new wireless router now, I would recommend getting one that supports the faster 300Mbps 802.11n protocol. There seems little point in opting for 54Mbps 802.11g which, if not performing optimally, could impact on your 20Mbps internet connection.

I use the D-Link DIR-615 with compatible USB adapter click here which connect consistently at 300Mbps. My Laptop and Netbook have slower 802.11n adapters which connect at 150Mbps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant