Buying W2k/XP

algernonymous 10:09 21 Jun 04

Whats the cheapest way to get genuine W2k or XP OS? eBay?

Lozzy 10:12 21 Jun 04

Buy it in a shop?? Ebay may be a genuine version but more often or not its a copy.

Dumble452 10:46 21 Jun 04

Try click here and search for an OEM version

Dumble452 10:48 21 Jun 04
  Cuddles 13:44 21 Jun 04

Ebay is definately the cheapest option, generally you get what you pay for, there are alot of copies for sale but also genuine sealed versions, dont fall for the will work with any computer promises as often they are oem versions that are made to work on certain machines.

algernonymous 12:21 22 Jun 04

Right, I've acquired via an acquaintance at college a copy of XP with the licence code (or whatever its called) written on it so that I could assess it. Now, if I used it to go online, would it get anyone into trouble? (and if so, why)

TomJerry 12:44 22 Jun 04

You maynot be able to use it after one month without activiation which you cannot do if it is a retail version. Only way is for your friend to transfer it to you.

You do not need to do activiation if it is with your friend's college volumn licence, but it is not legal for you to use it.

So stop worry and get a proper version, OEM version only costs £62 as suggested by Dumble452.

If you are a student/teacher, you may be able to get student/teacher licence which is cheaper.

algernonymous 13:19 22 Jun 04

But I don't want to give Bill Gate$ any more than I have to. Think I'll try Linux.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…