Buying Vista in the USA

tristar 19:03 05 Feb 07

I'm going to the US in a few weeks time for a holiday. If I were to buy a copy of Vista at US prices, would I have trouble installing and registering the product on my UK computer?

tristar

Technotiger 19:09 05 Feb 07

Hi, I am not a techie, but yes, I have no doubt you would have problems.

tristar 19:12 05 Feb 07

Perhaps I should make it clear, by copy, I don't mean an illegal copy, just the legal MS version

Technotiger 19:12 05 Feb 07

click here

and this is even with a UK version!

Technotiger 19:13 05 Feb 07

I did not doubt that you meant a Original legal version.

Technotiger 19:26 05 Feb 07

You might also find this thread interesting (from the Vista Forum)...

click here

Totally-braindead 19:26 05 Feb 07

I do not know if you would have a problem with it being a US copy. If it is a full version and it was XP we were talking about then I would be sure it would install ok. But with Vista a lot of people are having problems. Some find it installs perfectly and some are finding it won't.
I do not know if there is a difference between the US Vista and the UK Vista, there wasn't with XP but with Vista I just don't know as they've changed a lot of things, upgrades for example. You used to be able to do a clean install with an upgrade disk and just put in your original operating system disk so the program could check that you had a legal copy of windows. Thats changed now. You need the original copy of windows already installed on the PC and it needs to be authenticated so now you cannot do a clean install with Vista.

tristar 19:28 05 Feb 07

Thanks for the info, I think I'll give it a miss for a while!!

Technotiger 19:31 05 Feb 07

It appears that the FE is trying his best on behalf of all of us, by contacting Microsoft! But don't hold your breath.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…