Buying PC components in America

Random Castle 12:23 01 Oct 03

I'm visisting the US in November and was considering buying an ASUS A7N8X deluxe plus some other bits and pieces whilst out there as the prices (mobo £68 there vs £90 here) seem attractive. Has anyone any advice to offer?

MjM Hellfire 12:31 01 Oct 03

What happens if it breaks down? Your receipt will be for an American store, so your options for an exchange or money back might be a problem.

I always buy from Aria.com, they have been great to me with an equally great service. That board is however £89 on there, but at least you can send it back and get another one quickly if something goes wrong.

mark500 13:01 01 Oct 03

Why The Deluxe?

So what are the differences between the ASUS A7N8X and the ASUS A7N8X deluxe?
Deluxe has.

4MB Flash Rom (2MB Non Deluxe)
SoundStorm? - integrated APU (Audio Processing Unit)
Serial ATA - 2 ports
IEEE 1394 - Firewire
Dual LAN - integrated 3Com® and NVIDIA® LAN controllers
6 USB 2.0 Ports (I think the non-deluxe has only 4)
Have you really any use for the deluxe extras.

SDJ 14:04 01 Oct 03

I too am going over in November, which part are you off to?

Just remember to add the tax as many stores dont include it in the price advertised.
I have bought the odd thing whilst over there before but not to the extent of a new MB usually just the things I cant get over here.

Just be aware about customs, I once saw a guy flying back from Atlanta having his bags searched and he had a flatbed scanner, creative speakers and a keyboard wrapped up in his clothes.

Do a bit more research im sure you will be able to find a deal somewhere here.

Random Castle 15:56 01 Oct 03

Fair comments all and thanks for them (especially the local tax thing). Asus do offer a 3 yr worldwide warranty, but looking at their website don't seem to have UK representation. So sending the board back to the manufacturer (rather than the vendor) could be a problem. Re import duty, I figure that would be covered by the £145 personal allowance.

Blubottle 19:00 01 Oct 03

Random castle,,
I Visited the USA last year Las Vagas, I had Every intention of buying kit, and ended up just buying a new 60 gig HDD, saved about 7 quid over DABS, went to all the trouble of bringing it back, all I saved was 7 quid over a Dabs price.
It's just gone tit's up. check out PC stores online in the area you are going to,
bluebottle

Phil930 19:13 01 Oct 03

but after your expense of the flight to america wouldn't it make it more expensive!!!!

i live in the USA and be careful, everything out here is priced with stupid mail in rebates that never come!!

buy it in england for piece of mind..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…