Buying new P.C without O.S.

blodgett 11:37 15 Dec 03

As a PC illiterate, is it possible to buy a P.C. without an opreating System and to load an O.E.M. Recovery disc (Win Me) from a different manufacturer. The reason I am asking is that I understand from Carrera that Microcsoft are not allowing/supplying the O.S.on disc, but it is now only installed on the Hard drive in a partitioned area and that you recover the O.S. from there.What happens if your Hard drive goes legs up?
Kind regards to all,
Blodgett

MAJ 11:42 15 Dec 03

No.

denchris 11:44 15 Dec 03

You will need an OS of some kind and if you do not already own one the answer is no ! The OEM you mention is the backup for a system installed on HDD...

MAJ 11:44 15 Dec 03

Darn hit the wrong button, blodgett, sorry.

No. The recovery disk off another computer wont work, you'll need the Carrera recovery disk to restore the OS if anything goes wrong.

Pesala 12:13 15 Dec 03

The recovery disk is not supplied with the Carerra PC. I don't know what the answer is.

Install Linux? Sue Microsoft? Make a backup to CD-RW?

Presumably someone here has such a system and knows the answer.

Djohn 12:26 15 Dec 03

blodgett. If I've read your question correctly, then the answer is yes.

You can buy a PC without an operating system installed, then buy separately a OEM disk of any operating system of your choice. But not a recovery CD, it must be a full OEM, or retail version. j.

Gaz 25 12:54 15 Dec 03

click here and choose one of the PCs without an OS or with. Even custom build.

I give all the discs to the customers anyway, so you will get the Windows Disc.

961 13:27 15 Dec 03

You will find a small number of manufacturers that will sell you a computer without an operating system. You can then install your own operating system. I strongly suggest that, if you are thinking Windows, you buy, or already own, a full retail edition. OEM discs not bought from the computer manufacturer may or may not work, and if they don't, works like creek, and paddle, come to mind.
The other point is that if you do this, and the system does not work, you will have difficulty in your dealings with the computer manufacturer, as it will be very difficult for you, and him, to establish if the problem is down to his hardware or your installation of the software.

To get back to the point you really raise, which is the fact that many manufacturers do not supply a Windows disc, I would suggest you find one that does. There are some, and it is worth finding one, for the reasons you yourself describe. If you really are a computer illiterate I would strongly suggest you buy a system with the o/s already installed. It's not a good idea to try to do it yourself.

Try click here as an example

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…