Buying a new PC package

mneopaws1947 18:01 06 Apr 05

At the end of this week I am hoping to order a new PC package. I have spent the last 4weeks looking and am totally confused!!! The ones I fancied are:
Dell, Pentathlon, Siemens and Acer
What I am looking for is a Pc with Flat screen monitor, black or black and silver. I live in the UK and my max is £400 .So, as long as I get my flat screen monitor am open to suggestions of any good offers.

Also which is best AMDcAthlon or Intel processor, I really need some help !!

Thanks
Sue

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:11 06 Apr 05

Your choice is really dependent on what you what to use the computer for.

Gameing requires a good graphics card

Video editing needs a large hard drive

So what are you going to use it for?

Fingees 18:18 06 Apr 05

Although Dell are very good, They are more business orientated.

I would suggest, that you go to a good local independant computer store, that will build one to your spec. dependant upon your usage requirement.

It will work out far cheaper, and any problems, you won't have a lot of hastle, or far to take it.
Fingees

mneopaws1947 18:19 06 Apr 05

I play Solitaire etc, and play a lot in MSN zone online games - but that is about all as far as games are concerned.

I use my comp for surfing, downloading, letters and small time office duties. NInety per cent of my time is spent hosting cribbage tournaments for Cases !!! So pretty basic.

Truth is , all I wanted was a new black flat screen and a new black tower case. When I saw how much it would cost decided on a whole new package.

Thanks
Sue

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:26 06 Apr 05

Dell Dimension 3000, take off the 3 year RTB option to save £105 and change monitor to a 15"TFT...total price £434.75. It makes no difference at all if you have Intel or AMD. You will struggle to get a computer, OS and a TFT for less than £400 delivered.

click here

G

mneopaws1947 18:27 06 Apr 05

Long story Fingees, I live in tiny Welsh village, only one comp "builder" ended up costing me over £700, £450 for actual comp (just the comp) didn't work, ended up building my own. Lost a lot of money I couldn't afford.
Got loan for latest venture, will have to be last comp I ever buy!!!

Sue

Starfox 18:46 06 Apr 05

Nothing wrong with Dell but before you decide look at click here for some ideas,you are only going to need something basic for your needs .

As GANDALF says you are going to struggle at that price range.

Fujitsu-Siemans are to be well recommended,I use one myself but I would have thought they were out of your price range.Having said that what about this click here

Buchan 35 19:02 06 Apr 05

What about Dell`s offer of a Dell Dimension 2.6 GHz
CPU, 256MB RAM and a 40 Gig HDD for £291.00 delivered. I might even have a look myself and develop it myself

Buchan 35 19:03 06 Apr 05

Sorry I forgot the 1947 :-((

961 19:09 06 Apr 05

Don't you just love these girls. I've got one at home just exactly the same. "Got to be black...!"

Nothing wrong with Dell. Ring them on the order line and tell them what you want and what your budget is. Say you'll think about it for a day. They may knock £50 off there and then. Still say you'll think. Plead total poverty. Get the name of the sales assistant. Ring back with a question Plead poverty again. They may knock a little more off. And so on. You'll soon get the message when they've gone as far as they are going to

One idea however, is to see how much the basic system is without a monitor. Flat panels are coming down fast and I wonder on the basis that you already have a screen if you would save up for a few months and buy a better quality flat panel in a little while?

mneopaws1947 19:32 06 Apr 05

961 You made my day !!! Girl !! I was 58 last birthday and still love my clothes, cats, furniture and pcs alll black!!
A month ago I emailed Dell telling them exactly what I wanted - still nothing. I phoned them, it is a call centre in India, I could not understand a word they said, they couldn't understand me. Eventually I was put through to someone called Raul, from what I understood he was sending me a deal, which included all my specs, within my £400, promised for last Saturday so I could brwose to buy this week - nothing !!

If anyone has an alternative phone number or email would be greatly appreciated !!!
Sue

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…