Buying A New PC - How do I Get Through The Maze

Henmin 21:31 05 May 04

Hi Folks,

In todays world it's so hard for a novice to go out and buy the right PC.

I don't play extensive games on my PC. I don't do video. I don't play extensive audio CDs too on my PC. I have a budget of £600. But I do like reliability and good aftersales support. I'd love to be advised.

Henmin

SANTOS7 21:50 05 May 04

at the top of the page click reviews go to superbudgetPCs listed, this might be a good place to start alternatively go to your nearest high street PC shop tell them your budget and they should come up with some suitable recommendations, if your really not sure ask afriend who already has a PC to go along with you, good luck

citadel 21:50 05 May 04

Dell are top of the reliability tests. As you do not intend to play games you should easily get a pc in your price range. Having 512 ram installed will ensure speed.

alnwrd 23:11 05 May 04

If you don't do video or much cd audio what do you want the pc to do for you? Depending on your answers you may be paying twice as much as you need to.

RevHed 11:34 06 May 04

Get one custom built rather than a generic off the shelf. Reason being off the shelf models usually have USB, Graphics adaptor, Modem and the likes inbuilt on the mother board and if something goes wrong you can't just replace the one component.

byfordr 11:44 06 May 04

click here Under £600 including basic speaker and a 17" monitor. Very good support in the form of Davey via these hallowed pages.

click here 15" tft

click here Needs a monitor and speakers

click here

click here

click here

All under £600...

R

byfordr 11:50 06 May 04

click here

Recently picked up a couple of the D330s. Basic in places (normally basic cd player, low memory) but nice build quality.

Totally-braindead 12:09 06 May 04

If you buy a custom made PC you can save quite a bit by missing out all the bits you don't need. Look at click here as an example, you can spend quite a while mucking about with components until you get what you want. I don't know if it is the same as RevHed has stated but it definatly used to be, if you bought say a Packard Bell or AST computer the bits used to be integrated or built in such a way as you couldn't use a standard component or upgrade without buying from them, at a fair price hike I might add. Whether this is still the case I don't know. Dell and Mesh by the way use standard components so if you decide to buy from them there is no problem. For the minimum computer specifications I would consider I've listed below.
Processor Minimum 2200Mhz AMD or Intel (AMD is cheaper).
Hard Drive Minimum 40 Gig.
Memory Minimum 256mb.
Make sure you get 4 USB ports (usually mounted as part of the mainboard) though if this becomes a problem you can buy a hub for about a tenner to give you more.
Display get a 17 CRT monitor preferably a good quality one as you're going to be looking at this for a long time.
You might as well get a DVD player rather than a CDrom drive as its only about £10 dearer and some software comes on DVD rather than CD and as a plus you can watch DVD films.
On board sound is fine as is onboard graphics BUT make sure the mainboard has an AGP port for future upgrades as regardless of what you want to do now there will come a time when you want a bit more.
Make sure you get a proper full version of Windows XP and you can usually opt for some other software such as Microsoft Works if you don't already have it and get it cheaper as part of a new PC.
Finally remember to make sure the price includes keyboard, mouse and speakers and a modem if you want one. And if you want a printer I like Epson ones, you get cheap compatible refills, if you buy a cheap Lexmark for example it'll cost you the price of the printer each time you have to replace the cartridges.
Good luck

Henmin 15:17 06 May 04

SANTOS7,citadel,alnwrd, RevHed,byfordr,Totally-braindead,

Thanks a lot for all your comments and advise.

Henmin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…