Buying a new PC - advice needed - Questions Part 2

cactusjack 21:48 22 Nov 06

These questions follow on from my earlier post about buying a new PC. Any replies are gratefully received.

9) Quality of components

By the looks of things, both Evesham and Dell use good quality components. Does anyone know of anything that suggests otherwise?

10) Widescreen

Is a widescreen monitor the best way forward for the future (in terms of running movies / applications). Or is a normal square monitor fine?

11) Hard drive buffer

Does a 16MB buffer make a huge difference in the long term over an 8MB buffer?

12) On-site warranties

Dell offer a 4 year onsite warranty. The best I can see on Evesham’s site is 4 years. How would you rate Evesham against Dell in terms of quality of onsite support?

13) Use of multiple hard drives

I see the option to add multiple hard drives to PCs - does the use of 2 hard drives cause more heat to be generated in a machine? Is there any real disadvantage to having 2 drives as opposed to 1?

14) Intel Quad-core processor

The quad core processor is on the market and costs a fortune with a new PC. Is it worth the high price?

15) LAN cards

I would assume all PCs come as standard with a network card which can interface with an external router for a broadband connection. What is the real benefit of getting a Wireless LAN PCI Card as an extra option?

16) Upgrade policy

I have read that Dell use a lot of Dell branded components and charge a reasonable fee for upgrades. Does anyone know how Evesham's policy works? - i.e. will they send an engineer round to upgrade a part like Dell?

sean-278262 22:05 22 Nov 06

10) Widescreen

Depends what you use the computer for more. Widescreen is great for videos and for multitasking things like messenger services beside an open web browser as you dont have any real side scrolling. However for word it can be a bit of a pain as they are not as tall but much wider. So it is swings and roundabouts. Personally I prefer wide for what I do.

14) Intel Quad-core processor

Do you need a ferrai? Pretty simple question to answer really. Why waste money. Upgrade to it is easy in the future when it comes down in price.

15) LAN cards

For the money you plan to spend it is 99.99% guaranteed.

13) Use of multiple hard drives

More heat yes. but not too much more. More use, yes backups to a second drive mean if the first goes while it gets replaced you dont loose the important files. Plus in a RAID configuration it means you actually get a faster drive speed.

cactusjack 22:42 23 Nov 06

Creature of the Nite - thank you for your responses - they are very helpful :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac