Buying a new desktop

geek84 21:29 05 Dec 09

I am thinking of buying a new desktop PC in the new year - preferably in the January sales, when hopefully they will be cheaper! What things, apart from the obvious such as printer, should I look for, which could be included in the total price, when buying my new PC? What about software, and any other hardware, such as a scanner?

Also, would it be cheaper to buy over the internet or go to a shop? Personally, I would prefer going into a shop and talking face to face with a sales assistant, so that I know exactly what I am buying.

Finally, do you think I should buy a popular make such as Dell or HP etc, or just buy a cheap make?

Thanks

ame 22:33 05 Dec 09

Before you buy in a shop, check their reputation by searching online, and check the price online too. I have never bought a desktop, laptop and very rarely even software in a shop, as I've found better performance and/or price online. You can always phone good online suppliers and get similar advice as face-to-face; sometimes much better advice if you go to the right places.

Suggest you ensure it has the latest Windows 7 operating system, but there are very good, free software packages for internet security and office applications (e.g. OpenOffice)so if you're on a budget go for hardware deals. You'll need a modem/router and perhaps a wireless adapter to get onto the internet, and I would suggest an all-in-one printer/copier/scanner to save space and cost.

If you tell forum members what you want to do with the pc, they will give you suggested machines and point you to deals at trusted suppliers. Cheapest is not always best in the long run - computer suppliers can go out of business before your warranty is even up and after sales support with problems is just as important. Buy with the next 3 to 5 years in mind, because upgrading pc's is relatively expensive compared to buying a new one to get the same performance improvement.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:40 09 Dec 09

They are unlikely to be any cheaper in the January sales.

G

canarieslover 19:06 09 Dec 09

Don't forget there will be an extra 2.5% VAT after the 31st December. You will probably not get anything cheaper in the sales unless they are old models that they need to shift.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac