Buying a new AGP graphics card

Its been a year since i have made my pc and now i think is the time to change my graphics card.

Currently i have a sapphire All in wonder 9800 pro and i am looking for an either x800 xt or an 6800 gt. Im not sure what to get, on one hand im thinking should i wait for another 1-2 years and completely revamp my pc with a pci express motherboard or should i stick with what i have and buy an AGP graphics card.I have a buget of about 250 pounds. My system specs are as follows:

Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 motherboard
Intel pentium 4 @ 3.2GHz Prescott (478)
2x512mb dual channel @ 400mhz
100gb harddrive @ 5500 rpm
Sapphire all in wonder 9800 pro 128mb
400 watts psu.

If anyone suggests an agp upgrade then could you kindly state what else should i upgrade with it.If not than what are the right options in the years to come. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 15:35 07 Jul 05

Are you into any kind of hardcore gaming? If not, I would have thought that what you have is more than enough.

gudgulf 15:51 07 Jul 05

Not to mention the fact that your All-in-Wonder has a built in TV tuner.If you use that facility you will need to budget for a seperate TV tuner card.

Thanks for the replies, Yes, Diodorus Siculus, im into some serious gaming and the upgrade is mainly for the purpose of gaming.

Joe R 21:21 07 Jul 05

[email protected],

what type of budget are you talking about.?

I don't see you having to upgrade your system very soon either, the spec's look good to me.

citadel 21:29 07 Jul 05

I would get the 6800gt as it does the new shaders etc and is faster. This will play all the new games due out and those in the pipeline.

Totally-braindead 22:17 07 Jul 05

Because you already have a really good graphics card I'd be tempted to wait and upgrade the mainboard later on and get one with PCI-Express, especially if you have no game with which the graphics card struggles which I presume is the case. If however you have got a game that the card can't handle then citadels recommendation is a good card.

I have already stated the budget in my ifrst question. Anyway thanks for the replies.

As Totally-braindead said, i have no problems with the graphic card running the latest games at the moment its only an upgrade for the games to come. Only the likes of Everquest 2 sometimes struggles keeping up the framerate at higher settings but otherwise its working okay.

I think i would stick with the system i have at the moment and wait for another year or two and completely build a new system.

Once again i thank you all.

Joe R 16:58 08 Jul 05

the first one will at least still give you your video-in/video-out, the second for gaming only.

click here

click here

Arthur Scrimshaw 18:31 08 Jul 05

an AGP 6800Gt 256mb from Novatech for £192 click here

skeletal 18:46 08 Jul 05

I’m in a similar position, but I have a poorer graphics card (9600XT). Check this out click here for some tests.

I will probably upgrade when X2 The Return finally appears. However, its predecessor The Threat, is so processor hungry that my Athlon 2700XP computer slows down to less than 1fps on busy screens so I hope they’ve improved the programming (I know the graphics are far better, but it’s not that that causes the slow down).

I’ll never know why magazines don’t use this game as a test bed; simple stuff like Doom and Half-Life2 can easily get frame rates in the 20s and 30s (and of course, higher on fancy systems). I would REALLY like to see any machine that could get above 30 fps during a capital ship fire-fight in X2 (i.e. 30 times the power of mine!).

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…