Buying laptop from US

Yorkshire-git 25 Dec 12

Can anybody advise if there are any disadvantages to buying a laptop from the US, except for the guarantee and power cable (which I could probably buy from EBay) if I model match to products available in the UK?

I am a frequent business traveller to the US and am keen to see if I can take advantage of the cheaper prices over there.

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 25 Dec 12

No advantage as you should be paying import tax when you bring it back into this country.

Keyboard layout an language settings will be English US, English UK will not be included.

spuds 26 Dec 12

As you have already pointed out, the warranty might be a problem, unless it as an 'international' accepted warranty. The software loaded on the laptop might also be different compared to that supplied to the UK market.Product telephone help support would also incur further charges.

Bringing the laptop into the UK whether by hand or postal methods would incur UK taxes, plus extra for handling charges if postal services are used.

lotvic 26 Dec 12

Tax and duty on goods brought to the UK from outside the European Union Duty and tax free allowances

"When you travel to the UK from outside the European Union (EU), you can bring in a certain amount of duty/tax free goods for your own use - known as an 'allowance'. If you go over this allowance you may have to pay duty and/or tax. Some goods are banned completely, or restricted, such as certain foods."

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message