Buying a laptop

Tycho 17:00 25 Jun 06

I am about to buy a laptop for my daughter who is visually impaired. She is just about to start a Sage course and the recommended computer spec is: PII 2GHz, 512MB RAM, 500MB HD space free, SVGA or higher resolution video card and monitor running at 1024 x 768, 24bit true colour

The minimum that they say is workable is Pentium 400MHz, 128MB RAM, 150MB free HD space. SVGA Card and Monitor running at 800 x 600, min 256 colours.

Should I be going for the recommended? In choosing what should I be looking out for in addition to the specs? It seems that she is likely to be using it at home almost exclusively so battery life should no be an issue. To give an indication as to the extent of her visual problem she has been reading emails on my computer (Gmail) and has ben leaning forward to about 30cm of the screen which is set on 1280 x 1024. The text size on Firefox is set to 'Normal'.

Any thoughts would be helpful. I would like to spend the minimum possible, of course!

All the best

T

The Dazza 22:37 25 Jun 06

buy the best spec you can afford. You can get some good deals but you must shop around and get a feel for the market. The more speed of processor, RAM and size of hard drive the better.

Strawballs 23:44 25 Jun 06

click here try browsing through here when you select one it will then give you the price with either XP Pro, Home or no OS

Tycho 22:27 26 Jun 06

Thanks, both. Thre is no quick answer, is there? I will just have to do my homework.

T

herbyeel 15:02 29 Jun 06

Tycho You may already know this but within the windows programmes in accessories there are help tools for people with impairments IE magnifier and narrator. As to your purchase I had a Packard Bell Igo laptop which is generally plugged by Dixons and ass. I may have been unlucky but had problems from day 1 and found service expensive. It cost me £1500 so it was not a cheapo. Good luck with your purchase its in a good cause. Regds Herby.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…