buying first pc advice

redyellow 07:01 23 Feb 06

I want to buy a new PC and monitor to go on the net, download music, watch movie trailers and burn cd's and dvd's. I have about £550. I have no idea what I am talking about when it comes to computers and are very confused. Any ideas of what I should get and where to get it? Any help would be much appreciated.

mab9 07:55 23 Feb 06

Have a look at Dell very good PC's good prices as starter price but customer scervices are not up to much you get better deals if you ring I have just bought an Acer from click here
They do PC's and laptops have a look at the end of the day it's up to you to pick one out !!!

jack 09:21 23 Feb 06

Try to look 2 years ahead
What will you want to be doing with it then?
There are many bargains out there- Dell has been mentioned.
But be aware that many lower priced machines will not be upgradeable to any marked degree.
That is to say that apart from possibility memory you will not be able to add many advanced items in the future because the low priced machines tend to be made as an 'integrated lump' these days.

You could also make your money go further by looking at recently superseded models that go for bargain prices - take a look at click here
to see what I mean.

Dellman 11:02 23 Feb 06

Have you tried MESH?

click here

rmcqua 11:02 23 Feb 06

redyellow:
Did you see the reply I posted to your same question in Consumerwatch yesterday?

fredhead40 15:44 23 Feb 06

Better still there are 3 new reviewed super budget PCs in the April issue of PC Advisor.
Its out now and you only have a few weeks to be able to buy one at the advertised price and spec.
Once 3 weeks has elapsed then you cant buy them.

Happy hunting

fred

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:22 23 Feb 06

If you are not using the PC for gaming there is no need to worry about 'upgrading'. If any new gizmos come out they will always be USB or firewire compatible. If you have the two ports then you have nothing to worry about. Remember a Windows 95 computer will process a Word document just as fast as the latest 'all bells and whistles' computer.

G

Dellman 12:47 24 Feb 06

John Lewis offer free 2 year guarantees on their PCs....

tony58 09:36 25 Feb 06

take a look at click here

palinka 14:30 26 Feb 06

If you have a local computer supplier (NOT one of the bignames/national shops) go and talk to them. You may decide not to buy from them, but at least you will get some ideas and they are much more likely to know what they are talking about than the salesman at the companies you see advertising on TV - and using the sales techniques you see there!
Then compare prices. Years ago there was a huge difference; not sdo much nowadays.
Then consider what support , if any, you will get from (say) Dell or others that you buy on-line,and what it wil cost in phone calls, compared with buying from your local supplier.
If you have plenty of experience, even though you haven't got a computer of your own, then you'll be OK coping with any problems that arise; but otherwise it can be very useful to have the supplier "around the corner" to sort out any problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…