Buying firewire card - ??

spider9 08:43 10 Jan 05

Posted in 'Consumerwatch', in error, earlier.

Wanting to buy a firewire card for my computer, OS, XPhome, for mainly camcorder use. Have found vast differences in price, and as I am not very confident with technical stuff, would appreciate some help. At present I have seen firewire cards ranging from £6.99 at planetmicro to £40+ elsewhere. Is there any great difference, or is a firewire card going to do the same job, anyway? I am not a 'pro' (you no doubt spotted this already!!), so outstanding performance is not my highest priority - but am I missing something in these pretty dramatic price differences? Any opinions appreciated.

alan227 10:17 10 Jan 05

Any PCI firewire card will do the job.
The dearer ones generally combine USB2 as well.
This is one for under a tenner.click here.

€dstowe 10:53 10 Jan 05

With some of them you are paying for the name. Belkin comes to mind.

You may find that after paying through the nose for a named card (or other product) you can find almost identical ones much cheaper, the difference being that the cheaper one doesn't have the prestige of the resellers name emblazoned (in gold?) on it and it might not come in a fancy, bespoke vacuum moulded packing.

It happened to me a few years ago that I paid £35 or so for a named PCI card when Scan were selling the same model, but unbranded, for £11.

spider9 12:13 10 Jan 05

Thanks, guys, will order a 'peasants' model straight away. Cheers.

stlucia 13:45 10 Jan 05

Are you in the market for video editing software as well? Sometimes you can get a package with the firewire card included.

spider9 07:58 11 Jan 05

Yes,stlucia, I am considering video editing - do you know any package that includes the firewire card & cable?

stlucia 09:04 11 Jan 05

I'm not current on that subject, but my Pinnacle software came with a card many years ago, so you might look at them. If I remember rightly, PCWorld did deals at about £50 within the past year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…