buying excel 2003

swapper 19:21 14 Oct 06

Any recommendations regarding best place to buy this product please? I have looked on ebay (£140)
a bit too much for me.

And is it legal to buy a used copy, if I could find one?

Does "open office" have anything similar?

tia

Woolwell 20:38 14 Oct 06

You can buy and use a Microsoft used copy. I did this with FrontPage but had to ring Microsoft to get it registered. Make sure that it is really a genuine item first. Must be retail and not OEM.

Do you have anyone connected with education in your household? The Student and Teacher's version of Office is the cheapest way of geting Excel for most people.

Don't know about Open Office but suspect that it has something similar.

GroupFC 21:03 14 Oct 06

Open Office cetainly does have a spreadsheet aplication called Calc see click here

swapper 07:37 15 Oct 06

Woolwell, thanks, I will look out for a used copy, and no, everyone has been long gone, just
two SC's now.
GroupFC, ooooh! that looks very interesting, I'll be very interested it I can convert to MYSQL, from there, thank you.

swapper 22:22 29 Nov 06

GroupFC, I downloaded, and have been using Open Office, and its spreadsheet for a few weeks now, and I am more than impressed.
I particularly like it because it can save in excel, the equal to excel 2003 i think?

Thanks very much.

Simsy 23:07 29 Nov 06

that's part of OpenOffice, is called "Calc" and it's really very good.

It does a very good job of handling Excel files as well, and you can save spreadsheets in the Excel format, xls.

What it can't do, (I don't think there are any other s'sheets that can), is handle any Excel Macros, using the MS VBA language.

It can handle macros that you either record, or write, if you're conversant with BASIC

If you don't need to share files with anyone, and you dont need to be dealing with VBA macros I'd strongly recommend saving the expense and use OpenOffice.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…