Buying DVD RW disks

housefish981 11:56 14 May 05

A very basic question:

I've bought a new pc which came with a Sony 16 x dual layer DVD Rewritable +R/-R/RW.

Have tried searching on the PC and on the net to see what DVDs I should buy as I need to burn some files onto the disk but am totally confused. I had a look on Amazon and they sell Verbatim DVD+RW 4.7GB (4x) which look like a good price but does it make a difference if they are 4 x and my rewriter is 16x? do I need to buy dual layer DVD RWs?

Apols for a basic question but am very new to the world of DVD burners!

Any advice (however basic it might seem) gratefully received!

Sans le Sou 12:04 14 May 05

Four speed is fine, your burner can use any speed disk up to its maximum in theory. Does it burn at X16 or is that its read speed?

Sans le Sou 12:05 14 May 05

No need to buy dual layer

housefish981 12:12 14 May 05

I don't honestly know if it's the burning speed or reading speed. The manual I got with the pc is about 2 pages (covering hardware and software) and the on line support is absolute rubbish. I bought the pc from Mesh and am sure it's a decent piece of hardware it's impossible to work out what I've actually got. I just don't want to go and buy discs and the find they don't work!
thanks for your help - will buy the 4x ones and hope for the best!

Diodorus Siculus 12:13 14 May 05

DVD FAQ
click here

More than you will ever want to know!

RW disks will allow you to write/ rewrite / erase and so forth.

-r / +r will allow you to fill the disk (in a single or multisession burning) but you can'd delete what you put on to it.

Diodorus Siculus 12:15 14 May 05

Your drive can use:

+r disks

-r disks

RW disks

And also will burn CDs. So it all depends on how much data you want to burn.

housefish981 12:19 14 May 05

many thanks for that link! was searching for something like this earlier but couldn't find it on the search engines. Thanks for taking the time to give me the link and the info.

Sans le Sou 12:32 14 May 05

If your drive is the DRU22A then the RW speed is X4. The only DVDs that will burn at X16 are DVD+

Sans le Sou 12:39 14 May 05

This company is quite popular I believeclick here

housefish981 14:20 15 May 05

The spec says the dvd is a Sony DVD RW DW-23A. Have searched this phrase on Google but couldn't find out anything sensible!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…